MCC and NECC's Established Successes
Professional Development and Management
· The Middlesex Biotechnology Technician program meets the ever-expanding need for trained personnel in the biotech industry, a driving force in the state's economy. Students intern at area companies and usually work in the area after graduation. The program has a 100% placement rate.
· Working with area employers such as Charm Sciences, Inc. of Lawrence and the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection, Northern Essex developed an Applied Science in Laboratory Science associate degree. Graduates of the program will be prepared to enter the workforce as skilled lab technicians in one of three disciplines: analytical chemistry, biotechnology, or environmental sciences.
Workplace, Technical and ESOL Skills
· Working with area employers such at Key Polymer, Inc. in Lawrence, NECC developed a Basic Reading, Writing, and Math program to improve incumbent workers ability to perform job duties. This customized program was developed so workers were able to better understand batch orders, read and follow specific directions, and improve measuring skills. NECC performed pre- and post-test assessments and resulted in significant skill improvements!
· Middlesex has for many years partnered with LifeLinks, Inc., a Lowell-based nonprofit provider of direct care services to people with developmental disabilities. Middlesex currently provides all orientation training for the direct care workers. Middlesex and LifeLinks also developed a one-year, nine-course certificate program in human services specifically for direct services staff. Students take courses on the Lowell campus and receive financial support from LifeLinks in the form of tuition, books and work release. In addition, MCC collaborates with LifeLinks in a program to train young people considering a career in mental retardation services.
Specialized Career Training Initiatives
· Middlesex partners with Lahey Clinic to enable qualified Lahey employees to attend MCC's part-time nursing program while working at Lahey. The employees receive laboratory experience and take some prerequisite courses on-site at Lahey. Middlesex is responsible for the overall planning and implementation of the program, including curriculum content, faculty appointments, student academic advising, and requirements for student admission, matriculation, grading and graduation..
· NECC offers 18 certificates and associate degrees in the health care field, including the most recent addition, an EKG technician certificate. Each spring several hundred students graduate from these programs and are placed in jobs with local health care employers.